It’s been a while since we’ve updated this blog! You’d think that with three new staff people (yeah! bios to come soon) we would have four times the capacity. However, it seems instead that we have one hundred times the work! Thanks to everyone who came to our open house in September!!
Our new team wants to keep this blog updated more regularly and provide a space for the community to follow and comment on the work that we’re doing. For our first post, we wanted to give a brief overview of the work in our seven areas of focus.
School/Community Based Organization Partnerships
This work is managed by our awesome new coordinator, Yalonda. The Action Committee is working on:
- Building school/CBO relationships – join us for dinner on November 14th!
- Supporting alignment of in-school with wrap-around services
- Building capacity within CBOs and schools to succeed together
This work is managed by our second awesome new coordinator, Anita. The Action Committee is working on :
- Supporting existing Family Engagement efforts through small grants and increased visibility
- Developing a vision and action plan for family engagement that resonates with all families
Email Katherine to be a part of this Action Committee. They are working on:
Determining preschool gaps at SE elementary schools
Building a campaign to support kids ages birth – 3 and their family, friends and neighbor caregivers
Supporting Seattle Public Schools ELL department to increase family engagement with their new strategic plan
Working to get translated messages out weekly from all SE Principals
Helping to grow the ELL ‘Coaching Alongside’ cohort at SE schools
- Advocating for a case manager and counselor at every school in SE Seattle
- Developing a pilot for culturally competent CBO-based family support
African American Family Agenda for Education
This work is being led by our third awesome new coordinator, Marcus.
- Identifying SE African American family leaders
- Building a SE strengths and success matrix
- Creation of unifying vision and mission, goals and results
SESEC International Baccalaureate (IB) at Rainier Beach High School (RB)
More of Marcus’s great work!
- Build parent and student ambassador groups
- Community cafes to support families
- Creation of individualized support systems for students